Different from accidentally swiping left on someone on Tinder, unmatching someone by mistake can be a lot more difficult to deal with.
When you unmatch someone on Tinder you can no longer see their profile or your messages, nor can they see your profile or your messages.
According to Tinder itself, this action can’t be undone!
Here’s what happens once you unmatch someone on Tinder:
- You disappear from each other’s Match List;
- You can no longer see the conversation or chat;
- You no longer have access to each other’s Tinder profiles;
- You can no longer receive or send messages to each other;
Essentially, you disappear entirely from each other! You can’t reach them and they can’t reach you.
Your conversation was going too well, and it would be a shame to lose such a connection, right?
Well, I got you on this one, because despite this being a permanent action, you can find someone you unmatched on Tinder and rematch with them!
Here are 5 things to do when you accidentally unmatch a person on Tinder:
1. Find their Tinder profile through Google and swipe right on them.
The only way to match again after unmatching on Tinder is to find their profile again.
One of the first things to do when you accidentally unmatch a good match on Tinder is to Google their Tinder profile!
As odd as it sounds this is very easily done and the results are immediate.
You’ve texted them, you know their name, and you’re likely to know their username too. Although, the last one can be a bit questionable.
However, you know their name, you know what their profile looks like, it’s time to make good use of Google!!
Here’s how you do that!
- Go to Google and search site:tinder.com name, for example, site:tinder.com james
- Search through URL by typing tinder.com/@username, for example, tinder.com/@james1
- Go to Google Images and search site:tinder.com name, for example, site:tinder.com tina
You want to try all the three methods! Each one can give you different results, and the more you try the more you increase the chances to find them.
Once you find their profile, if you’re logged in on Tinder web, then you can swipe right on them.
However, if you’re not logged in, you can copy the link of their profile, log in on Tinder web, paste the link of their profile, and swipe right on them.
Another way to find someone you accidentally unmatched on Tinder is to look them up on social media.
If you know their name, where they live, and what they do for a living you’re very likely to find them on social me especially if you have mutual friends.
- Facebook. One of the social media that can give you an easier time on this is Facebook.
That’s because people are unlikely to use nicknames for a Facebook profile.
Even better if you have a mutual friend, go Go to that friend’s profile, then their Friends list, and search for this person’s name on that list.
On the other hand, if you don’t have a mutual friend, simply try doing an advanced search by filling in the name, age, city, and profession.
- Linkedin. I’m not telling you to find their Linkedin and contact them there, that would’ve been creepy!
Finding their Linkedin profile can make it easier for you to find out their last name and other information about them.
So, search their name, city, and profession, and see what you can find on Linkedin.
You can also do this through Google to see if any of their socials pop up!
- Instagram. Things get slightly complicated when it comes to Instagram.
However, you can always give it a try, because it’s free and there’s nothing to lose in the process.
Just search their name in the Instagram search bar, or try using Google by searching site:instagram.com name, for example, site:instagram.com tina
You’re very likely to find something by trying out any of these methods. Even a simple Google search can do its thing and you can end up finding more clues!
3. Search them through search sites (e.g. DatingZest Profile Finder.
Another way to match with someone again on Tinder is to find their profile through searching apps.
Considering that you don’t know much about this person other than their name and, possibly, their last name, your options to look them up are limited.
You do, however, know their age and location, because, duh, it’s Tinder!
So, all it takes is a simple search on SocialCatfish. Search their name, age, and whatever other information you have on this person!
Other search engines that can help you out include
Keep in mind such services aren’t free, so you want to do a little bit of research on the site before you decide to pay for its services.
4. Delete your current Tinder account and create a new one.
You can find someone you unmatched on Tinder by also creating a new Tinder profile.
The catch with this option is that you’ve got to delete your current Tinder account.
Tinder says one person one profile, so there’s no way you can get away with two profiles on Tinder!
Deleting your current Tinder account means you say bye to every other match you have, all messages will be gone as well.
So, if you think this person is worth giving your current Tinder account, then you can start fresh by
- Go to Tinder;
- Tap your profile icon then Settings;
- Find the Delete Account, tap on it, and proceed to delete your account.
Once you delete your account, you can go ahead and create a fresh and cool Tinder account.
After creating your new Tinder account, it is very important that you set your preferences according to the person you accidentally unmatched with!
Start swiping and keep your fingers crossed, you could just find them!
5. You can wait until the profile shows up on your swiping feed.
If you don’t want to put effort into this, then you can as well just sit around and wait until this person’s profile shows up on your swiping feed.
Again, Tinder says that the action of unmatching a person is undone. There’s no turning back to that action.
However, Tinder doesn’t really say anything about whether their profile reappears on your swiping feed again or not.
So, if you feel like too much effort isn’t worth putting into this matter, then you can use the app, and wait until the person you accidentally unmatched shows up again.
Although they’re unlikely to reappear, Tinder might give you another shot if you run out of people on your swiping feed.
The chances are low, but never zero!
What to do once you find the person you accidentally unmatched on Tinder!
The moment you find their profile on Tinder can be very joyous and have a sense of victory to it. Your hard work paid off!
Well, now what’s the next step?!
– Send them a Super-Like if you find their profile on Tinder.
Sending them a Super-Like will allow you to message them as well, which can give you space to explain what happened.
That can be an excellent way to reconnect and start chatting again!
You have one free Super-Like a day, so if you’ve wasted it, then a normal right-swipe will do its job as well.
– Introduce yourself and playfully let them know what happened if you find their profile on social media.
A person from Tinder simply showing up on your social media with no explanation whatsoever can be creepy.
You can seem as if you’ve been stalking them, and it can be interpreted as a red flag.
So, the right thing to do here is to take your time and craft a decent message where you let this person know who you are and why you’re texting them.
One of the best ways to go about it is to be playful, but depending on your previous conversation you can adjust to their tone as well.
Here are a few suggestions on what you can text the person you accidentally matched on Tinder once you find them again:
- “The worst pickup line part two? Sorry, I accidentally unmatched you on Tinder and I couldn’t just let you go!”
- “Hi there, it’s [name]! For the life of me, I have no idea how I ended up unmatching you on Tinder, and for the life of me I had to find you again!”
- “Hey [name], it’s [name] from Tinder! Apologies if I’m being creepy, but I accidentally unmatched you on Tinder and I HAD to find you!”
- “Hello! I don’t mean to be intrusive but there was no way to find you elsewhere. I unmatched you on Tinder by mistake, and I couldn’t just let it go! So, hi again!”
Feel free to make it more fun and use any inside jokes. This way you catch their attention and make room to start a relaxed conversation again.
Once you reconnect, don’t forget to keep the conversation engaging and ask those fun questions that make your conversations unforgettable!