Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps in the world. And just what exactly makes us say that? In how many countries is it used? How many people are using it?
Well, the mind blowing statistics will answer these and more questions.
Let’s check them out, shall we?
- A Little Bit About Tinder
- Fun/Interesting Facts About Tinder
- Tinder Usage Statistics
- Tinder App Statistics
- Tinder Financial Statistics
- International Tinder Statistics
- Tinder Success Rate
A Little Bit About Tinder
Tinder release date: September 12th, 2012
Tinder creators: Sean Rad, Jonathan Badeen, Justin Mateen, Joe Munoz, Dinesh Moorjani, and Whitney Wolfe
Tinder owner: Match Group
Tinder’s headquarters: West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
Tinder’s competitors: Bumble, OkCupid, Zoosk, Match.com, Hinge, etc…
Required age for using Tinder: 18 Years Old
Fun/Interesting Facts About Tinder
- Over 1 million dates a week are made because of Tinder.
- 30% of Tinder users are married.
- 78,1% of Tinder users are men, and 21,9% of users are women
- On Mondays, 6-9 pm is the time you can get most matches on Tinder.
- In 2020 Tinder made $1.2 billion.
- Over 1.6 billion left and right swipes are registered on Tinder every day
- Over 30 million matches are made each day on Tinder
- 85% couples that met through Tinder say “I love you” within the first year of dating.
- The highest number of swipes (3 billion) to be recorded on Tinder was on March 28th, 2020.
- In 2019 Cheddar estimated Tinder to be worth $10 billion.
- Tinder has over 6.03 million paid subscribers.
- Tinder is the most popular dating app in the USA.
- Tinder donated $100,000 for a dream wedding of a LGBTQ couble.
- Over 20% of Tinder users swipe right on brands.
- 95% of Tinder users meet their matches within a week.
- Tinder has 37 options for gender identification.
- Besides the fact that Tinder is available in 190 countries, it is also available in 40+ different languages.
Did you know?
- A green dot on Tinder matches has been appearing recently, it indicates that the person has been recently active.
- If you break certain rules and not get banned, chances are Tinder shadowbanned you and you don’t know it.
- In 2020 Tinder released a new premium feature called Tinder Platinum.
- There are ways you can unban yourself on Tinder.
- Tinder has eliminated its rating system which used to be called ELO score.
Tinder Usage Statistics
We know quite a lot of things about Tinder already, but what about the ones who use it? What could be the number of people that use the app?
Let’s get to know more about the Tinder users, about the gender, the time they spend on the app, their marital status (of which you’ll be surprised), and whatnot!
Let’s let’s let’s, shall we?!
1. Tinder has 60-65 million users
Tinder confirmed tens of millions of users, however there are no official statistics about this part yet.
Though, before, the number of users has been estimated to be 50 million, according to an article published in Feb 2018 by BBC, this number is estimated to be 57 million.
The pandemic has definitely affected this number, considering the situation we were and are in.
If we consider the fact that this estimation was made back in 2018 (3 years ago), the pandemic effect that was very noticeable in a lot of areas (including social media), we can surely say that this number is higher than 57 million.
Chances are that the number of Tinder users in 2021 is around 60 to 65 million.
2. Tinder men to women ratio – Gender Statistics
78,1% of users are men, and 21,9% of users are women
These stats were published on statista in 2019.
There is currently no other ‘fresher’ data that tells us what’s the current gender percentage on Tinder.
3. 90 minutes a day is the average time that users spend on Tinder
Based on buildfire.com, Tinder users log in on the app an average of 11 times a day.
Men spend 7.2 minutes each time, while women spend 8.5 minutes each time. Making an average of 90 minutes spent daily on the app.
4. Tinder has around 6.6 million subscribers
According to Statista, in the first quarter of 2020 Tinder has registered 6.03 million worldwide paid subscribers.
However, Tinder Press reports:
”Tinder has 6.6 million subscribers and is the highest-grossing non-gaming app globally.”
5. Tinder Users’ Age Statistics
Tinder Newsroom reports:
“50%+ of members are ages 18-25 (Gen Z)”
According to this demographic by GlobalWebIndex made in 2015, the percentage of Tinder users stand like this:
38% of Tinder users are aged 16-24
45% of Tinder users are aged 25-34
13% of Tinder users are aged 35-44
3% of Tinder users are aged 45-54
1% of Tinder users are aged 55-64
Note: this demographic is from year 2015 back when the minimum age allowed on Tinder used to be 14. Now the required age to use Tinder is 18.
6. Tinder Users’ Marital Status
54% of Tinder users are single
30% of Tinder users are married
12% of Tinder users are in a relationship
3% of Tinder users are divorced
This is a research made in 2015 by globalwebindex.
There is no other ‘fresher’ nor official information for this part yet.
7. 46% of the time men swipe right, meanwhile women swipe right 14% of the time
This explains a lot the fact that men are less ‘successful’ on Tinder when compared to women.
According to New York Times, 46% of the time men swipe right, meanwhile women swipe right 14% of the time.
Women tend to be more selective, hence get more matches and eventually dates because of Tinder.
8. Why do people use Tinder for?
We are relying on LendEDU for this information. Particularly, on a study they made back in 2017:
This is the result of “Why do you use Tinder?” being asked to 9,761 millennials (72% of which were using Tinder).
“22.22 percent of Tinder users surveyed answered that they are “looking for a hookup,” 4.16 percent said they are “looking for a relationship,” 44.44 percent said they use it for “confidence-boosting procrastination,” and 29.16 percent answered that they use the app for other reasons.”
Note: Some people with mostly mal intentions, tend to make fake profiles on Tinder. Be aware!
9. Most common interests of Tinder users are Music, Work, Travel, Dog, Adventure, Movies, Food, Outdoors…
This stands based on an analysis of 10,000 US Tinder Profiles by katiehempenius.com.
“This analysis was generated using data from the profiles of 10,000 Tinder users across 22 US cities and towns. The median age of male users was 26, the median age of female users was 23.”
Most common interests are thought to be:
Yes, how creative, right?
10. 12% of men and 0.01% of women Tinder users identify as homosexual or bisexual
There are more than 8 sexual orientation options you can choose on Tinder.
However, a study made by Queen Mary/Sapienza/Royal Ottawa Health Care showed that 12% of men, and 0.01% of women on Tinder, identify as homosexual or bisexual.
Considering the fact that there are already enough dating apps for the LGBTQ community, these numbers can’t quite be considered low.
11. People that have a bio, have higher chances of getting a match
In an article named Can Data Science Craft the Perfect Tinder Bio? by displayr.com, it is said:
“But don’t forget the earlier stat – people with text in their bios had four times the number of matches. You definitely want to be saying something!”
Also, according to a survey made by Simpletexting about dating apps in general, having a description about yourself, or at least having the ‘about me’ part of the profile filled, has an indication of how successful you are on that app.
Tinder App Statistics
How many times has Tinder been downloaded? How many dates per week are made because of Tinder?
We like swiping, but how many swipes do we make everyday on Tinder?
The answers to these, and more, you will soon find out…
1. Tinder has been downloaded over 400 million times
“…it’s been downloaded more than 400 million times and led to 55 billion matches.”
If you’ve still wondering why Tinder is considered to be one of the most popular dating apps, then this answers your question quite well.
2. Tinder is most used in the USA
From all the other countries, Tinder is most used in the USA. In September 2019, Tinder reported that 7.86 million Tinder users were from the US.
Which means 12% of Tinder users are from the USA.
3. Tinder is available in 190 countries all over the world
This is one of the many advantages Tinder has over a lot of apps.
Since not many of other dating apps are not available in this many countries, this makes Tinder stand out a bit more.
4. Over 1.6 billion left and right swipes are made on Tinder, each day
In 2014 Tinder was registering 1 billion swipes per day. However, as the app has been continuously growing, the number of daily swipes on Tinder has risen too.
Tinder reported that up to 1.6 billion swipes are registered daily on Tinder.
Which then leads to a certain number of matches (which you’ll find in the article), which again then leads to a certain number of dates per week.
5. Tinder has 2 billion views per day
Based on Tinder press data, everyday its users check out Tinder 2 billion times.
To check messages, to swipe, the reasons vary. But, the point is that Tinder registers 2 billion views each day.
6. In 2019 10.3% of the Tinder users were subscribed to Tinder’s Premium Features
According to the Match Group report from 2019, 10.3% of Tinder users (which back then was lower) pay for the premium features on Tinder. This represented an increase of 35% more than the previous year.
Considering the temptation to check out the profiles who already liked you, or the fact that you can change the location, this number is surprisingly not that bad.
7. The highest passport usage
Passport is one of Tinder’s premium features which allows you to change your location wherever you wish in the world.
Hence, your profile will be shown to the people of that area, and vice versa.
According to Tinder, the highest passport usage was recorded in:
New York, U.S
Los Angeles, California
São Paulo, Brazil
Mexico City, Mexico
8. 4.2 million GIFs are used per week on Tinder
According to the Tinder Newsroom 4.2 million GIFs are used every week on Tinder.
It’s a good sign, we’re getting creative folks!!
Tinder Financial Statistics
There are things we know about Tinder, and things we don’t. Things we wonder about, and things we don’t wonder about.
One of the things we wonder about could be: How much does Tinder earn? Or, how much is Tinder worth?
We will find out:
1. $1,2 billion was the revenue earning of Tinder in 2019
According to Statista:
“As of 2019, Tinder’s direct revenue amounted to 1.15 billion U.S. dollars, a 123% CAGR increase since 2015”
2. Tinder is estimated to be worth $10 billion
This private estimate was made by Cheddar in March 2019.
Although, Match Group did not confirm anything about it.
Airnow proclaims that Tinder generated 11.07 million U.S. dollars in U.S. app revenues from iOS devices during the third quarter of 2020
United States: 11.07 million U.S dollars
Germany: 4.2 million U.S dollars
Brazil: 3.45 million U.S dollars
Netherlands: 2.26 million U.S dollars
United Kingdom: 2.01 million U.S dollars
Canada: 1.95 million U.S dollars
Australia: 1.21 million U.S dollars
Switzerland: 1.09 million U.S dollars
France: 1.06 million U.S dollars
UAE: 1.05 million U.S dollars
International Tinder Statistics
Indeed, Tinder is used globally. Here are some statistics worth mentioning about a few countries:
Tinder Statistics in U.S
1. Average age percentage of Tinder users in the U.S
There are 7.86 million Tinder users from the U.S only.
According to Statista’s survey data (April 2020):
15% of Tinder users in US are aged 18-29
19% of Tinder users in US are aged 30-44
8% of Tinder users in US are aged 45-54
6% of Tinder users in US are aged 55-64
2. Men to women ratio on Tinder – U.S
Statista came up with new statistics for U.S in January 27th, 2021:
The U.S has 7.86 million users, 72% of which are men, and 28% of the rest are women.
These stats were published by Statista on Jan 27, 2021.
24.4% of Tinder U.S users are inactive users
34.7% of Tinder U.S users are light users
16.7% of Tinder U.S users are middle users
24% of Tinder U.S users are heavy users
“This statistic presents the distribution of active Tinder users in the United States as of June 2020, sorted by usage frequency. During the measured period, it was found by App Ape that 34.7 percent of U.S. Tinder audiences were light users of the dating app on the Android platform.”
Tinder Statistics in U.K
1. Average age percentage of Tinder users in U.K
According to a We Are Flint study made in 2016:
27% of the users are 18-24 years old
28% of the users are 25-34 years old
15% of the users are 35-44 years old
4% of the users are 45-54 years old
2% of the users are 55-64 years old
0% of the users are 65-74 years old
0% of the users are 75+ years old
As for now, there is no recent data that tells us whether this percentage has changed or not. Which most certainly did, since the recent events like the pandemic.
2. U.K Tinder users – men to women ratio
Tinder statistics in India
1. Tinder usage in India
7.5 million daily swipes in India were reported by Tinder in 2016.
Read further about this on WSJ.
2. Most active Indian cities on Tinder
Tinder reported data on most active cities of India on Tinder. Presented in this order from the most active:
Tinder success rate
Tinder as a dating app has been growing a lot, especially during the pandemic. Dating on Tinder during a pandemic has been the way to go these days.
As the number of users is rising, so is the number of daily swipes registered, number of matches, and of course, number of dates.
Here are some statistics you most probably didn’t know of:
1. 30 million matches are registered everyday on Tinder
1.6 billion swipes are registered everyday on Tinder. This, leading to a relatively high daily number of matches: 30 million.
At the Web Summit conference in Dublin, Sean Rad (the CEO of Tinder) said that Tinder creates 30 million matches a day.
2. 55 billion total matches have been registered on Tinder
Tinder’s press confirmed that 55 billion matches have been registered on Tinder, which makes us comprehend the conclusion that 1.6 billion swipes are made each day on Tinder.
Also, leading to 1.5 million dates in a week because of Tinder.
3. Over 1 million dates per week are made because of Tinder
Still, wondering why Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps?
1 million dates, means 2 million people going out for a date, every week. The number keeps raising. Thank you Tinder.
4. 95% of Tinder matches meet within 2 to 7 days of matching
A study by moderndatingmyths.com shows that 95% of Tinder matches meet within a week after matching.
A not so expected find was also that 85% couples that met through Tinder say “I love you” within the first year of dating.
5. Time it takes for Tinder users to message after match
A First Look at User Activity on Tinder shows us that:
63% of men on Tinder message within 5min
18% of women on Tinder message within 5 min
This isn’t as surprising if we consider the ‘standards’: women usually wait for the men to text first, so this explains why after a match the number of women that text within 5 min is lower when compared to the number of men.
You might also like: 10 Interesting Facts About The Tinder Super Like